Selling Your Home in the Winter
Just because it’s winter and the holiday season, doesn’t mean your window of opportunity for selling your home has passed. Winter can still be a good time to sell a house, but you may have to work a little harder to make the space appear cozy, warm, and inviting.
The Internet Has No Seasons
You are probably already aware that most buyers go online to search for homes, no matter what the temperature is outside. While spring is known as the hottest home-buying season, serious home buyers are always on the lookout, so even though the weather is changing, always remember that it will not stop home buyers from shopping.
In the winter, you have a limited number of sellers on the market. Quite possibly you may have less competition on the market if you list your home during the winter. Buyers have fewer homes to choose from, which means you could sell your house faster.
Buyers Mean Business
Most people want to curl up under a blanket next to a warm fire on a cold winter’s day. If a buyer is trudging around in freezing weather or breaking away from their holiday schedule to look at your home, they must be serious.
You may think people are less likely to see your home due to a hectic holiday schedule and that can be true. But keep in mind, many people also have more time off around the holidays. That means more time dreaming about their new home and even scheduling home showings.
Nothing says welcome quite like walking out of the cold into a nice, warm, cozy home.
It’s easy to make a house feel like home in the wintertime.
Here are a few tips to help you set the buying mood:
- Keep it simple. If you are selling around a holiday and have decorations up, make sure not to overpower a room. Less is more.
- A Place for Shoes. You do not want potential buyers walking through your house with snowy shoes or boots. Place area rugs or mats for them to place their boots on. It’s also a great idea to have a bench or chair if there is room to use one, so a potential buyer can sit and easily change their shoes or boots.
- Shine a light outside. Winter days get dark early. Brighten your home’s exterior when you are expecting to show your home.
- Avoid winter wonderland. Buyers want to see details of the house, not a blanket of snow. During the winter months, curb appeal becomes less of an issue. If you don’t have your landscaping in top shape, it’s no longer a potentially costly task that it might have been. Remember, the nicer your home looks, the more likely it is to sell. Don’t forget to clear the driveway and walkways!
- Be Flexible. Winter can be a busy season with so many holiday obligations and events going on. This may mean that home buyers might request a showing earlier or later in the day than they might in other seasons. If you are serious about selling, then it is wise to be flexible with your schedule so that as many house hunters as possible may visit your home.
Selling a home in the winter months may seem daunting, but with the proper preparation and strategy, you can attract serious buyers. Keep your driveway and sidewalks clear of ice and snow for safety reasons and be flexible when potential buyers want to tour.
It would be best if you also worked with a local real estate agent who understands how to market and price your home for winter, and I am more than happy to assist you. If you are ready to sell your home this winter, I am highly experienced and can be reached anytime at 705-323-7781 or feel free to email me firstname.lastname@example.org.
Born in Toronto, Ontario, I've been in sales for over 30 years. At the young age of 23, I was a successful store manager for a large well known Retail Shoe Company in Toronto, which led me to work for a large Floor and Wall Fashions Distributor in Warehouse Management and Sales. Beginning in 2005, this valuable experience led me to a successful and dynamic career in Real Estate. I then achieved my Broker's license in 2008, and I am always continuing my education in this exciting field.
I find myself so fortunate to live and work in Lagoon City. Over the years, I have met so many wonderful people who have become my neighbors and friends. I truly believe in creating a better community through connecting people with the right homes. My integrity and honesty will always keep you on the right path and my dedication to finding or selling your home goes beyond expectations.
Richard McGuigan A professional CENTURY 21® Real Estate Broker Century 21 B.J Roth Realty Ltd, residing in Lagoon City, Ontario and providing you with the highest quality service possible. His personal knowledge of the Real Estate market in Lagoon City and surrounding areas is combined with the power of the CENTURY 21 brand - the most recognized name in Real Estate today. Let Richard assist you in finding your dream home in our beautiful waterfront community. Contact him today for a free home evaluation.